Examination dates September 2014 – August 2015
Saturday, December 20, 2014
Friday, February 27, 2015
Friday, April 24, 2015
Friday, June 26, 2015
Friday, August 21, 2015
Procedure for Examination
Prior to submitting your application for an examination please complete the procedures listed below:
- Complete and pass the written exam (applicable only to 13 yrs+). This may be done anytime during your current level. The exam is to be written during class time and is approximately 30-45 minutes. A passing grade is 80%. You may make request for the written exam from an authorized black belt instructor or from the office.
- Complete the minimum attendance requirement.
- Be able to demonstrate all the technical requirements (see bottom of page)
- Update your personal training record
- Complete the exam application.
- Attach the correct examination fee (listed in page 8 of the student manual) to the Exam Application
- Remove the completed Exam Application from your Student Manual and submit it along with your Student Manual to the office by the 15th.
- Names of examinees and date of testing will be posted no later than the 20th of each month.
- Promotions will be announced and given out during class time within the first week of the next month.
- Where retesting is necessary, it will be rescheduled to the testing date of the following month.
*Please note: An application submitted by the 15th the month of testing will qualify for testing that same month. Applications received after the 15th will be scheduled for the next examination date per schedule above.
To view belt-specific requirements, select the level that you will be testing for:
Children (7 – 13 yrs)
Children in this age group must acquire 3 stripes prior to testing for the next color belt level. The student will be recommended for stripe testing once he/she is able to perform the technical requirements and has fulfilled the minimum attendance. Stripe testing usually takes place during the last 10 minutes of class. The minimum attendance required per stripe at each level is listed below.
|White1; white2; white3 stripes; & yellow||20 classes minimum|
|Yellow1; yellow2; yellow3 stripes: & orange||25 classes minimum|
|Orange1; orange2; orange3 stripes; & green||40 classes minimum|
|Green1; green2; green3 stripes & blue||40 classes minimum|
|Blue1; blue2; blue3 stripes; & brown||45 classes minimum|
Children reaching the green and blue level are recommended to join the adult classes.
Adults 13 yrs up
|Yellow||50 regular classes|
|Orange||60 regular classes + 20 skill classes|
|Green||70 regular classes + 22 skill classes|
|Blue||90 regular classes + 26 skill classes|
|Brown||1.5 years consistent training + 32 skill classes with proper recommendation|
|Jr. Shodan Black Belt – 14 years of age minimum||Minimum 2 years consistent & regular training + regular skill class attendance. Proper recommendation required|
|Shodan Black Belt – 16 years of age minimum||Attendance requirement – see requirement sheet|
(c) 2017 Tom Mah School of Karate - Kelowna, British Columbia All rights reserved.